Erin Thompson Curlett, Senior Content & Social Media Marketing Manager
Happy Halloween! In celebration of this historically sugar-filled holiday, we're offering you a few tips on how to promote healthy holiday behaviors at your worksite, taken from our Healthy Worksite Thought Starter: Promote a Holiday Challenge. Take these tips to heart - Thanksgiving is just around the corner!
Whether it's the festive mood or pressure from family and friends, people often eat more than they intend to during the holidays. As co-workers celebrate with each other and share favorite recipes, the workplace can become full of delicious pitfalls. Participants in the Weight Talk® personal coaching program are taught how to identify and navigate potentially difficult eating situations, including those that occur at the workplace during the holidays. Offer support to your employees during the holidays by providing them with an encouraging environment that promotes healthy options for holiday parties and gatherings.
Here are some ideas to support your employees during this time:
- Lead a healthy holidays initiative. Use all the communications outlets you have available to you and encourage healthy behaviors in the workplace and at home. Think creatively and generate excitement around the office. Encourage social support by enlisting the help of employee volunteers.
- Use positive reinforcement. Take a fun and encouraging approach by promoting the positive aspects of holiday healthfulness rather than implementing strict guidelines or belittling employees' inevitable deisres for a seasonal sugar rush.
- Educate employees on holiday health tips. Print health tips in your monthly newlsetter or hold an informational meeting to teach your employees smart ways to keep the pounds off during the holidays.
- Draft holiday food policies. Lay out clear guidelines for what you deem to be acceptable holiday fare. If you have an office potluck, set limite on how many desserts should be brought and encourage participants to bring healthy alternatives to traditional holiday favorites.
- Hold a contest. Encourage a bit of healthy rivalry among co-workers by hosting a healthy holiday bake-off. Award prizes for the best healthy recipe.
- Host a healthy food drive. Many people look for ways to give back to the community during this time of year; host a food drive that gathers healthy options for those in need.
- Lead by example. The best way to encourage your employees to follow healthy eating guidelines is to involve the management team as much as possible and ensure your own department is setting a good example.
This blog post was originally published as the paper Healthy Worksite Thought Starter: Promote a Holiday Challenge. For a complimentary copy of the complete white paper, please visit Clear Insights.
Visit www.alerewellbeing.com to learn about Alere Wellbeings Weight Talk® personal coaching program and the Accomplish® Program, a nutritional and lifestyle counseling program exclusively for weight loss surgery patients.