Anne Herman, Quit Coach
An estimated 17 million Americans vow to quit smoking each year, many of them at the start of the New Year. Statistics show that at least 70% of smokers would like to quit, if they believed they could do it. They know what using tobacco costs them personally: the money spent, the health risks, the social stigma, the smell, and more.
As an employer, you know that paying for tobacco cessation is the most cost-effective health insurance benefit you can offer your adult employees. Each year U.S. employers spend an average of $21 per smoker, per day, or $7,874 per year in excess medical costs and lost productivity due to tobacco use. The cost rises when absenteeism, lost productivity due to smoke breaks, and workers compensation claims are included.
It all adds up. This is an excellent time to encourage employees to enroll in your specialized quit smoking program and to use the program fully.
You can enhance both the companys bottom line and the well-being of employees by educating them and helping them take full advantage of the coaching program.
Here are a few tips to offer employees who use tobacco:
- Call your coachespecially when you dont want to. A coach helps clarify motivation and bolster sagging confidence. A 10- minute conversation can renew your energy for quitting.
- Be open about your strengths and challenges in quitting. Your coach can help you identify patterns in your smoking behavior and find opportunities to make positive changes.
- Use your coach to make a plan for conquering your urges to smoke. You will leave every session with doable, practical steps to move toward your goal.
- Ask your coach about using medication to help with the physical cravings. Your coach is specially trained in the science of tobacco cessation.
- Stay in touch with your coach even after you quit. For some people, staying quit is harder than quitting. Your coach is an expert in troubleshooting, and helping you overcome challenges that may arise after you quit.
Help your employees quit smoking in 2014 by encouraging them to enroll in the Quit For Life® Program, the only commercial tobacco cessation program in the U.S. with proof of effectivenes.
Download our white paper to learn how to carve tobacco cessation out of your general wellness offering.